Winter weather precautions
Tenants need to be aware of problems which can occur during cold weather, frost damage being one of the biggest risks. A burst pipe can wreak real damage on your home and its contents.
Repairs can be complicated and may involve digging up lawns, tarmac or paving. Any resulting problems from burst pipes etc will be very much the tenant’s problem and may also involve adjoining properties.
Preventing Burst Pipes
Damage can be avoided by taking a few simple precautions including:
• Opening the loft trap door on cold days to let heat in
• Keeping the plug in the sink during frosty weather
• If you are away for more than 24 hours, leave the heating on low and ask a friend or relative to check on your home
• Report dripping taps because if they freeze they will block the pipe
• Know where your stop tap is and check you can turn it off easily in an emergency
Whilst this is general advice, the characteristics of each individual property may be slightly different. If you are unsure how to take appropriate measures to protect the property or if you plan to be away for a week or more, please do not hesitate to contact us.